Season 1, Episode 8
How Black People Can Get Ahead in the Magazine Industry in 2021
In today’s episode, we contemplate how come there are more flamingos on the front covers of mainstream women’s magazines than black women. Today’s interview is with the inspirational Nikki Simpson, head of the International Magazine Centre. In particular, we discuss how black people (and other marginalised groups) can get ahead in the magazine industry in 2021
About This Episode
Throughout this fascinating interview, we discuss:
- Why the International Magazine Centre was set up
- What has happened to the magazine industry over lockdown?
- Who are the best performing Scottish publications
- Who are the exciting emerging publications cropping up across the globe
- The demise of some of the biggest publishers
- How some publications have thrived during the Corona crisis.
- The issue of online presence for magazines and in particular how their online presence has fared over the crisis.
- Recommendations on what people can do to change the representation of minorities in magazines, whether on the front cover, between the covers or behind the scenes in the boardroom, management, on the team or part of the freelancer network.
- Research by Ivana Bell from Derby University
- The new training course with low barriers to access for Black and Asian Minority Ethnic people or people with care responsibilities or without access to funds to get into the magazine industry.
- How to recruit for black or female talent proactively in order to get a positive effect on your bottom line
- Whitewashing, backlashes as well as structural and systemic racism
- White supremacy and superiority diminishes other cultural representations without being overtly racist.
- The impact of the new head of Vogue, Edward Enninful.
Is your website fit for purpose? Chances are it’s too slow, difficult to navigate and has outdated branding that doesn’t help when doing any kind of online marketing. Find out some of the key elements to make a great website, without paying a fortune or having your website designer call the shots
In today’s episode, we discover how to use TikTok for small business. This interview took place on BBC Radio Scotland’s Drivetime show with the adorable John Beattie. We cover the phenomenal results some local small businesses are getting from being early adopters on social media platforms, as well as working with influencers and achieving cult status.
Discover the 2nd week results of the main political parties Facebook and Instagram ads and organic strategies in the run up to the General Election 2019
Here is the full range of political ads that are running today, Monday morning 11th November, by the main political parties in the run up to the UK 2019 General Election.
Hello lovely, I need a wee favour 💪As Facebook's only trainer of the #SheMeansBusiness workshops in Scotland, I am keen to get the message out to the furthest corners of our fair land. Facebook created a support and training package for women starting up or growing...
As marketers, we live in a constant state of flux. Understanding the latest trends, playing to relevance in the media and connecting with our audiences is a full-time job. We do this over and above the content we create, the relationships we foster and the time we...
I was on BBC Radio Scotland's Good Morning Scotland Show this morning, talking about the alleged adverse effects of social media on young people. A report from @actionforchildren states 2/3rds of parents think childhoods are getting worse. All said bullying was the...
Looking to build your connections in Edinburgh? Come for a Breakfast n Learn networking opportunity on Tuesday 2nd July at the glorious Black Ivy in Bruntsfield from 08:00 - 10:00. An intimate gathering of leading businesses and charities with two quality digital and...
Do you have your Social Media Marketing plan ready for Xmas? Are your marketing plans fit for a bumper Xmas? Social Media Marketing plans are even more important to be meticulously planned this Xmas. Let's get started! It’s a dappled autumnal morning. September has...
The struggle to reach clients in an online world is real! You might be putting out great content but if it’s only seen by a few people – who are usually mates, colleagues or well wishers and certainly not buyers – what’s the actual point in spending so much time with your online marketing?